The UNI Local Food Program works to develop a local and regional food system that positively impacts local farmers, consumers and businesses through education, collaboration, and economic development.
- CEDAR VALLEY REGIONAL FOOD & FARM NETWORK (CVRFFN)- We lead the Cedar Valley Regional Food & Farm Network. A coalition of individuals, food and farm businesses, UNI Local Food Program, Northeast Iowa Food Bank, Iowa State University Extension & Outreach, and other community organizations & leaders working together to positively impact the local food system.
- SERVICES TO FARMERS - We help local farms find local markets, build connections among farmers, and offer educational programs to assist direct-marketing farms in our region.
- SERVICES TO INSTITUTIONAL FOOD BUYERS - We connect schools, grocers, restaurants, and distributors with local farms.
- LOCAL AND REGIONAL FOOD SYSTEMS EDUCATION - Our staff and partners develop tools and experiences that make it easier for everyone to see and appreciate the local food treasures of our region. We publish a local food guide each year that you can find at www.cvfoodfarmnetwork.org.
- NOURISH IOWA VISTA PROGRAM - Building community capacity to increase food access for all Iowans, especially those who experience food insecurity, in order to create a more just and equitable food future, in which all Iowans have bountiful access to culturally-relevant, locally grown and produced food. Projects include increasing community garden capacity, free produce distribution programs, various efforts to increase land access, and nutrition assistance programming. If you are interested in serving with our program, you can find more information HERE.