The UNI Local Food Program works to develop a local and regional food system that positively impacts local farmers, consumers and businesses through education, collaboration, and economic development. We strengthen the local food economy in Iowa communities by working through the Northern Iowa Food & Farm Partnership – a regional working group of food and farm businesses, restaurant and grocery owners, food service staff, farmers market managers, emergency food organizations, and other community leaders.
- NORTHERN IOWA FOOD & FARM PARTNERSHIP - We work with leaders in Black Hawk, Bremer, Buchanan, Butler, Grundy and Tama counties in collaboration with Region 9 ISU Extension and Outreach.
- SERVICES TO FARMERS - We help local farms find local markets, build connections among farmers, and offer educational programs to assist direct-marketing farms in our region.
- SERVICES TO INSTITUTIONAL FOOD BUYERS - We connect schools, grocers, restaurants, and distributors with local farms.
- LOCAL AND REGIONAL FOOD SYSTEMS EDUCATION - Our staff and partners develop tools and experiences that make it easier for everyone to see and appreciate the local food treasures of our region. We publish a local food directory each year, organize regional farm crawls that feature local farms, etc.
- ACCESS TO GOOD FOOD - We operate Greens to Go, a mobile produce stand that features fresh produce from local farms at affordable prices in underserved neighborhoods (a collaboration with AmeriCorps VISTA members and Northeast Iowa Food Bank).