Green Iowa AmeriCorps
New positions will be added once available.
Community Food Security VISTA Project
New positions will be added once available.
UNI Local Food Program
On-site Coordinator for Greens to Go in the Cedar Valley
Deadline for application: ASAP. Markets are starting soon. The first qualified applicant will be hired. Apply here.
We Arose is working with the UNI Local Food to implement an online ordering system with curbside pickup through the Greens to Go mobile produce stands and College Hill Farmers Market.
The on-site coordinator will coordinate the Greens to Go online ordering service at each market location. There will be an on-site coordinator working at the Greens to Go mobile produce stands and College Hill Farmers Market.
The coordinator will gather the products from the online orders from each vendor before the market starts. The products will be separated into customer orders, bagged, and labeled. There will be designated Greens to Go tent locations for contactless, drive-up order pickup. In addition, the on-site coordinator will gather feedback from vendors and customers while at the markets to pass along to the project coordinator for improving the system throughout the pilot.
- Complete training manuals and videos prior to the market season starting.
- Before the market each week
- Print online order paperwork
- Pick up supplies from storage (tent, tables, cooler, bags, labels)
- Market Duties
- Set up tent, tables, and Greens to Go curbside pickup area
- Collect products from vendors
- Complete each customer order, bag, and label
- Staff the Greens to Go curbside area for customers to pick up product
- Gather feedback from customers and vendors (formally and informally)
- Contact customers in case of no-show
- After the market
- Clean up Greens to Go curbside pick-up area
- Communicate feedback with We Arose Project Coordinator
- Return supplies to storage (tent, tables, cooler, bags, labels)
- Complete reports and administer surveys as needed
- Attend project meetings as needed
- Additional tasks as assigned
- Saturday Market Duties
- Assist with market setup and tear down
- Welcome customers as they arrive to the market
- Provide welcome packet to market customers
- Offer and provide a tour of the market if requested
- Assist customers to find products as requested by directing them to potential vendors and/or providing them info via market directory and/or website map.
- Collect data / conduct short surveys as directed by the market team.
Qualifications - Required
- Good communication skills.
- Organizational skills.
- Passionate about the community and local agriculture.
- Able to build relationships within the community.
- Ability to think creatively.
- People with skills in diplomacy.
- Social media skills or willingness to learn about social media platforms.
- A smart mobile phone to post videos and pictures during the market.
- The ability to lift 50 pounds.
- The ability to stand/walk around the market for 4-6 hours.
- The ability to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Reliable transportation.
Tuesday: Greens to Go (1:30pm – 6:30pm) 5hrs
Wednesday: College Hill Farmers Market (2:30pm – 7:00pm) 4.5hrs
Friday: Greens to Go (1:30pm – 7:00pm) 5.5hrs
Saturday: Waterloo Urban Farmers Market (7:30 AM - 12:30 PM) 5hrs
Total Hours: 20 hours
Compensation: $15/hour *potential mileage reimbursements as needed for out-of-town transportation, excluding standard commuting. (Ex: College Hill Farmers Market)
Start Date: ASAP. Regular market hours will start the week of May 16th.
UNI Center for Energy & Environmental Education
For the Garden at the Peoples Community Health Clinic, Waterloo, Iowa (2022 growing season)
See detailed description on Handshake or here.
This position is a leadership role for the Garden at Peoples Community Health Clinic (PCHC). PCHC is a nonprofit health center in the Waterloo area that cares for patients holistically. As such, they have an on-site vegetable garden that provides produce for weekly distributions for their patients.
The Garden Manager is responsible for the upkeep of the Garden, as well as overseeing any volunteers, including AmeriCorps members. Upkeep of the Garden includes watering, harvesting, planting, weighing, and washing produce. Additionally, they are responsible for mowing, weeding,
and doing other tasks around the garden as they come up.
Overseeing volunteers includes the ability to direct a group to do various tasks within the garden, training volunteers to do garden and distribution tasks independently, and managing the online volunteer signup system to track volunteer hours. The Garden Manager also works with the UNI Center for Energy & Environmental Education (CEEE) staff to help with other local food projects in the community.
The Garden Manager should expect to be paid $15 per hour and work roughly 20 hours per week for 30 weeks of the gardening season. Work begins mid-April 2022.
Examples of Garden Manager’s work
- Garden Maintenance: Watering, weeding, harvesting, moving compost, planting, mowing, etc.
- Distribution: Cleaning produce, packing distribution cart, tabling, setting up distribution
- Delivery: Packing bags, preparing handouts, possibly doing excess deliveries
- Misc.: Directing volunteers
Apply ASAP (The first qualified candidate to apply will be hired ASAP):
If interested, please contact Kamyar Enshayan at 319-273-7575 or firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.